17.6.14

Una felicidad grande pero inactiva


[Sometimes I can still sleep it off, my fear. My dreams are gentle now even when they are about being mugged, robbed and knocked down, even when I am pressing my car key into a bit of yielding earth. But often in the afternoons I wake after a nap with an awful sense of its being over and that it never meant much; I never had a life. The valuable sweetness and the hard work are infected by the fact of death: they no longer seem to have been so wonderful, but they are all I had. And then I want to be comforted. I want my old, unthreatening forms of silence, and comedy-and-cowardice. I want breath and stories
and the world.]

[A veces todavía puedo olvidarlo durmiendo, me refiero al miedo. Ahora no tengo malos sueños, aunque traten de que me atracan, me roban y me pegan, aunque meta la llave del coche en un trocito de tierra blanda. Pero a menudo, por las tardes, despierto de la siesta con la horrible sensación de que se ha acabado y nunca ha significado mucho; nunca tuve una vida. La realidad de la muerte infecta la dulzura preciosa y el trabajo duro: ya no parecen haber sido tan maravillosos, pero son lo único que he tenido. Y entonces quiero consuelo. Quiero las viejas fórmulas de silencio no amenazadoras y el juego de comedia-y-cobardía. Quiero aliento, historias, y al mundo. ]

*New York, 1982. Miron Zownir, 1982.
*This Wild Darkness [trad. Marcelo Cohen]. Harold Brodkey, 1996.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario