19.2.10

Abcisas



≪And before the twang of this sycophantic note dies away, let me mention here something else, something that I have in common with Adolf Hitler: the great love of my youth, whose name was Zarah Leander. I saw her only once, in what was called, then and there, Road to the Scaffold (Das Herz einer Königin), a story about Mary, Queen of Scots, I remember nothing of the film, but a scene where her young page rests his head on the stupendous lap of his condemned queen. In my view, she was the most beautiful woman who ever appeared on the screen, and my subsequent tastes and preferences, valid though they were in themselves, were but deviations from her standard. As attempts to account for a stunned or failed romantic career go, this one feels to me oddly satisfactory.≫

≪Y antes de que el tañido de esta servil nota se extinga, permítanme mencionar algo más, algo que comparto con Adolf Hitler: mi gran amor de juventud, cuyo nombre era Zarah Leander. Sólo la vi una vez, en una película llamada Camino al cadalso (Das Herz einer Königin), sobre María, reina de Escocia. No recuerdo nada de esa película, salvo una escena en la que un joven paje posaba su cabeza en el esplendoroso regazo de la reina condenada. A mis ojos, se trataba de la mujer más hermosa que hubiera aparecido alguna vez en pantalla, y mis gustos y preferencias posteriores, por válidos que fuesen en sí mismos, no costituyeron sino desviaciones de aquel punto de referencia... En fin, entre las muchas justificaciones posibles de una raquítica y fallida carrera amorosa, esta mía no me parece de las peores.≫

*Zarah Leander.
*Spoils of War. Joseph Brodsky, 1986.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario